Tag: Work

CommVault Simpana 9.0 SP2 recut DVD media available

CommVault Simpana 9.0 SP2 recut DVD media is available on CommVaults Maintenance Advantage site in the ESD software download area. Media is marked as April 2011 and now includes SP2.

Of course, don’t go using these new DVD’s to install agents into an older version of Simpana. i.e. 9.0 SP1a for example, as you will have unexpected results and an unsupported configuration.

CommVault Simpana 9.0 changing FTP site location details

As noted in this post, Simpana 9.0 SP1B onwards removed the ability to change the FTP site location used for updates via the GUI. If you’d like to modify these values, you can use the following qoperations to perform it from command line, you’ll need to first authenticate using qlogin etc.

 
Update with desired ftp location;

qoperation execscript -sn SetKeyIntoGlobalParamTbl.sql -si "Patch FTP Site" -si y -si "download.ftp.com"

Update with the username and password, using plain text:

qoperation execscript -sn SetKeyIntoGlobalParamTbl.sql -si "Patch FTP Site UserName" -si y -si "user"
qoperation execscript -sn SetKeyIntoGlobalParamTbl.sql -si "Patch FTP Site Password" -si y -p1 "password"

In the ftp site, do not include ftp:// as this is NOT REQUIRED.

Rough few days

Had a rough few days, as I managed to get a bit sick on Tuesday and Wednesday just gone. It also hit my wife too, but we are feeling better today.

Our son wasn’t sick, or at least hadn’t got sick with what we got. I certainly hope he doesn’t as a stomach bug is not the most pleasant thing to have at all and I would hate for him to get it. Cross fingers he doesn’t.

Work was pretty busy today, but that’s alright, as I had plenty to catch up on and I rather being busy anyways.

Commvault Simpana 9.0 SP1a vs SP1b UI differences

As promised in yesterdays post, below is the UI differences I spotted after upgrading from 9.0 SP1a to 9.0 SP1b.

SP1a
Simpana 9.0 SP1a
SP1b
Simpana 9.0 SP1b

As you can clearly see, the Download From has been removed from the top most part of the window. I’ve had folks tell me they would change this URL to stop updates from being downloaded, even if autoupdate jobs got enabled.

I guess going forward, the URL that use to be displayed will need to be put into the hosts file and pointing to 127.0.0.1 to ensure that if scheduled updates won’t download.

Upon further review of the Readme with the SP1b patch, I found the following, which relates to the above UI change on the product.

FTP Server information for download updates does not need to be shown to the user.
(Update 33815)

New job. New start.

We’ll Monday 14th March is the day I start my new job. Feeling a bit nervous, as you usually expect. However extremely looking forward to the new challenges ahead.

Will post more in the coming weeks.

linode VPS upgrade from debian 4.0 to 5.0

Finally took the plunge. Upgraded out linode VPS from debian 4.0 to 5.0

Apart from an inital hiccup, it seems fine. Upgrade complete. Unfortunately I had to shutdown the VPS instance to increase a big of diskspace onto the root, so that the dist-upgrade had enough disk space.

In other news, had a bit of a funny issue today at work. It was related to domain name resolution, and oddly enough another solution to the issue popped into my head just a while ago. It’s funny how this happens to us IT folk.

Basically it looked like a host lookup was failing and we thought maybe the host record is missing from the internal dcs, while it exists in the management host we have. As everything works for the customer when the host is using dns from our management servers, but soon as we use the customer primary dns it seems to fail. First thought posible record missing, however then it dawned on me that it could be related to the resolv.conf on the host.

Going from memory I think the resolv.conf is the issue. I remember it containing the following options;

domain blah.blah.com
nameserver w.x.y.z
#nameserver a.b.c.d
search blah.blah.com
search blah2.blah.com

And if the above holds true, I think I know why. The host record exists both in blah.blah.com and in blah2.blah.com. However, nameserver w.x.y.z only serves blah.blah.com, and nameserver a.b.c.d only serves blah2.blah.com. From my understanding of the man pages for resolv.conf, it looks like you shouldn’t use search/domain together, and if you do then only the last instance of search is ever used, which in this case means everytime we try to lookup host.blah2.blah.com with the primary nameserver set as w.x.y.z it will always fail. If we hashed out the domain line, it would work, as now resolver would search for both domain suffix strings against the host being used in the lookup.

I’ll check the resolv.conf tomorrow when I am back in the office, but I am pretty certain this is how it was, however if its not then back to the drawing board (as it might then end up being a missing host record between the two domains/nameservers).

Just so we are clear, technically the host shouldn’t be using the nameserver a.b.c.d, nor domain suffix blah2.blah.com (as this is ONLY to be used from the management node) and not for the entire environment, will soon be making sure no one else depends on it and stopping it from answering requests in the future.

Adjusting back to the work routine

Today is my first day back at work. Now all I have to do is adjust back to a work routine.

I guess it’s going to take me a few days adjust back to things. Atleast I have managed to catch up on all the emails and managed to sort everything as it should be. I hate having an INBOX which is cluttered with lots of emails.