Tag: ADSL

PPP LCP EchoReq failures

It appears I got over 14 hour run out of my PPP connection with the new router, however it did end up dying, in a way that I believe is associated with my other router doing the same thing, as I did see this happen on old router too.

You can see a snip of the logs below, which I am running in PPP debug mode to catch the failures.

Jan 31 04:17:29 tp-link.home syslog: rcvd [LCP EchoReq id=0x29 magic=0xc7764cdf dc e9 00 04]
Jan 31 04:17:29 tp-link.home syslog: sent [LCP EchoRep id=0x29 magic=0xf199fdc0 dc e9 00 04]
Jan 31 04:17:45 tp-link.home syslog: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0xf2 magic=0xf199fdc0]
Jan 31 04:17:45 tp-link.home syslog: rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0xf2 magic=0xc7764cdf]
Jan 31 04:18:15 tp-link.home syslog: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0xf3 magic=0xf199fdc0]
Jan 31 04:18:45 tp-link.home syslog: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0xf4 magic=0xf199fdc0]
Jan 31 04:19:15 tp-link.home syslog: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0xf5 magic=0xf199fdc0]
Jan 31 04:19:45 tp-link.home syslog: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0xf6 magic=0xf199fdc0]
Jan 31 04:20:23 tp-link.home syslog: No response to 4 echo-requests
Jan 31 04:20:23 tp-link.home syslog: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Jan 31 04:20:23 tp-link.home syslog: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Jan 31 04:20:23 tp-link.home radvd[12001]: attempting to reread config file
Jan 31 04:20:23 tp-link.home syslog: Clear IP addresses.  PPP connection DOWN.
Jan 31 04:20:23 tp-link.home syslog: Clear IP addresses.  Connection DOWN.
Jan 31 04:20:27 tp-link.home syslog: Couldn't increase MTU to 1500.
Jan 31 04:20:27 tp-link.home syslog: Couldn't increase MRU to 1500
Jan 31 04:20:27 tp-link.home syslog: PPP LCP DOWN.
Jan 31 04:20:27 tp-link.home syslog: sent [LCP TermReq id=0x3 "Peer not responding"]
Jan 31 04:20:27 tp-link.home radvd[12001]: resuming normal operation
Jan 31 04:20:27 tp-link.home radvd[12001]: received RA from fe80::706e:1fff:feb3:306f
Jan 31 04:20:31 tp-link.home syslog: sent [LCP TermReq id=0x4 "Peer not responding"]
Jan 31 04:20:34 tp-link.home syslog: Connection terminated.
Jan 31 04:20:34 tp-link.home syslog: Connect time 23711299.2 minutes.
Jan 31 04:20:34 tp-link.home syslog: Sent 409935162 bytes, received 406005108 bytes.
Jan 31 04:20:34 tp-link.home syslog: Connect time 23711299.2 minutes.
Jan 31 04:20:34 tp-link.home syslog: Sent 409935162 bytes, received 406005108 bytes.

Exetel informed me yesterday that they had an outage on Thursday relating to some equipment relating to the above happening, and that Friday AM they performed maintenance to correct it. But guess what, looks like it is still happening, just not so frequently on this router. Maybe coincidence, but I couldn’t keep the old router on when it was flaking out so frequently.

TP-Link N600 TD-W8980 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router

I’ve been wanting to buy a new router for a while and well since I was being asked what I wanted for gift’s, I thought the router might be a good idea.

The model I am going to be talking about is the TP-Link N600 TD-W8980 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router.

It’s not a bad router, however it does lack some features in my opinion. A feature I noticed lacking is static dns assignments, in addition I think the Parental Controls need a going over. It would be nice to have the Parental Controls enabled for more than 4 different MAC Addresses, in addition to also being able to have them turned on without having to also define URL’s that are allowed. I would like the option to have just time periods where those devices cannot use the internet and/or also have the URL feature defined in a different way. i.e. black list URL’s vs white list URL’s (or turn URL controls off completely).

tp-link_n600_parental_controls

The status page should also include packet statistics for all interfaces on the router, bit like the Billion 7800NL that it replaced.

I’d also have to say that the Bandwidth Control needs enhancement also, as I found my Billion 7800NL to be a lot better in how it was configured, however we will see how the rules i have defined go on the unit.

Still a good purchase based on the price the TP-Link unit goes for, and I now have a EWAN port available should we ever get any other sort of internet connectivity in the future.

Phone fixed and ADSL not affected

The phone service was fixed by about 10am yesterday. It would appear the fault was probably at the RIM as we thought. Which ironically means I was entirely correct in saying the DSL tech who did the ADSL activation caused it.

All fixed, but it did take them longer then expected. At least ADSL remained intact.

Still waiting for ADSL services

Months and months later, I am still awaiting Telstra to provide ADSL port relief to our local RIM.

We’ve been advised from Internode that Telstra is indicating end of March. Of course the last time I was advised something it came and went with no change. That was in January.

I am really hoping that ADSL port relief happens real soon, you can only accept using unwired for so long.

Damn Telstra

It would appear the local exchange or cabinet our phone runs too is out of ADSL ports on the CMUX, so no ADSL until it gets upgraded. Of course, no one can tell us when. Guess I will let the application stay in held state and stay in queue for an available port.

With the estate booming, no paper pusher decided to upgrade the infrastructure, which is REALLY annoying. Guess I might write a letter to local member and start to annoy the right people.

Damn Telstra.