Category: Site

Silicondust HDHomeRun Connect

I was lucky enough to be provided a review unit of the Silicondust HDHomeRun Connect. Let it be known, I actually owned an earlier edition of these devices back in the day. Regret actually getting rid of it these days.

Meanwhile, the new units are absolutely awesome. The out of box setup and experience is so much better with the new model. Since you can actually connect to the web server built into the unit which helps with configuration.

Setting it up was so easy, when done I was then able to stream the TV channel straight to my VLC application to watch it live. Below is some images of the process where I configured my unit.

Watching DVB broadcast from Silcondust HDHomeRun using VideoLanClient (VLC)

I love being able to have a DVB tuner available on my network and not need to have my computer on to use it. My Samsung Smart TV can access the Silicondust HDHomeRun Connect TV channels via the upnp/DLNA client. The network tuner makes the channels available over upnp/DLNA.

I would recommend this unit to anyone if you would like to have a Digital DVB tuner on your network.

DVBLogic updates DVBLink TVSource to version 6

My DVBLink TVSource setup has continued to run quite good. I was glad to see that when DVBLogic announced updates to DVBLink TVSource I was excited to see what this included.

It was a bonus to see that I got a free upgrade to the new release since I had purchased the product in the time frame required to qualify.

I jumped all in and upgraded my setup. I was a bit concerned on the process but after a bit of reading and cross checking I went for it.

Essentially the upgrade process is to export a backup of your configuration. Now remove DVBLink TVSource add on, upgrade the license in your license portal. Grab the new version of the product and run the upgrade batch file. Once done install the new DVBLink TVSource and license it. Now import configuration saved earlier.

Seemed to all work without a hitch.

I noticed DVBLink Viewer application, but not sure if that was new to this release. Just hadn’t used it until post upgrade. Can see numerous UI tweaks in the various parts of the product too.

Go read more about it here.

DVBLink from DVBLogic Trial over

I’ve been running DVBLink from DVBLogic in Trial/Demo mode for the last 19 days.

My trial concluded today, as it has expired.

I think the product could certainly use some improvement and I will be pursuing to push a few points on how I think that can be done. Perhaps my ideas have already been suggested by other users in the community.

Generally I would have to say the product works really well, and I didn’t have much issues with what it does best, which records DVB streams.

The license costs when converted to AUD are quite expensive, which works out to be $73 AUD dollars. However, I do think I will be purchasing a license as it works very well under Windows 10, which I have used for part of the trial period, while I was also running it on Windows 8.1 as well too.

Well worth checking out if you have some compatible hardware, and would like to record DVB streams.

Setting up Mikrotik RouterBoard with USB Mobile Broadband Dongle

On the account I won a Mikrotik hAP-2nD from Duxtel, see post here. I thought it might be a good idea to see if I could get this unit to work with a Telstra 4G USB Mobile Broadband Dongle.

Initially I had some problems, however, you shouldn’t do things when tired. Eventually I worked out where I had went wrong and got things to work after all.

First I had to set the following in Winbox Terminal;

/port firmware set directory=firmware ignore-directip-modem=yes

After I reboot the router, my device showed up as being connected to USB1. Which is what is needed for the next step.

Mikrotik should configure a PPP interface automatically, as such you will need to tweak it to match what your needs are. Those settings below are what I am using for my Telstra dongle in question. I modified the name of my interface to suit my environment.

name="ppp-out2" max-mtu=1500 max-mru=1500 mrru=disabled port=usb1 
      data-channel=3 info-channel=2 apn="telstra.internet" pin="" user="" 
      password="" profile=default phone="" dial-command="ATDT" modem-init="" 
      null-modem=no dial-on-demand=yes add-default-route=yes 
      default-route-distance=0 use-peer-dns=yes keepalive-timeout=30 

Finally step was to setup a NAT rule to use the new out interface.

/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="masquerade for ppp-out2 (dongle)" 

Once this was all done, it worked fine. Very impressed.

Unit pictured below configured and running with Telstra 4G dongle plugged in.