I was introduced by another work colleague to IBM Express-C. The reason for this introduction is that I needed a free version of DB2 which could be installed on Windows and/or Linux for a test environment. i.e. I wanted to simulate an environment where I could install the Commvault Simpana DB2 iDA to see how it’s configured, in addition perform backups and restores.
So if your in a situation like myself, I can highly recommend it.
IBM Express-C can be downloaded from here. In addition you can obtain a copy of a free e-book for it called “Getting started with Express-C” from here. The later item probably only of use if you want to develop on the database platform. Forums also exist as linked here.
Commvault Simpana 9 DB2 iDA documentation is found here.
Output of the commands below against a DB2 client are handy for troubleshooting purposes (command in bold);
- db2level – obtain db2 revision/version information
- db2 get instance – list current instance
- db2 list db directory – list all DB’s in current instance (as defined in OS environment variable DB2INSTANCE)
- db2 get dbm cfg – list all database manager configuration file values
- db2 get db cfg for <DB> – list all DB parameters for <DB> and shows values.