I had considered the purchase of two open-mesh wireless units, just curious if anyone else reading this might have already done so. I only consider it now, as the ISP plan I am on allows me to give back to the community. Besides I wouldn’t mind help foster others getting involved to allow the mesh to be a bit bigger in my area.
Oddly enough I had been considering the purchase of some extra diskspace. Guess I don’t have to consider no more, as I now have 4gb more. All I need to do is to decide a good time to shutdown the host and expand existing volumes as required to make use of the new found free space.
I highly recommend Linode. I’ll be renewing my account once the 12 months expires around the end of September this year. If you’d like to sign up with them, then please by all means use my referal code by clicking here.
I’d heard a bit about Sun xVM but hadn’t actually had the chance to look at the product.
In the last day or two I have a chance to install the product. All I can say is I am very impressed. It works extremely well. Not bad for a product that is Free.
The GUI is easy enough to use, and the performance of the guests seem good too. It’s also good to see they have packaged tools packages for various supported operating systems, so the installed guest gets some extra handy functions.
Question is, what will happen to this product and others once Oracle take over. I surely hope they don’t disappear.
I’ve been a long time fan of Mythtv and have used it on and off for a number of years, however it was always a big ask to get WAF (wife acceptance factor).
Since the launch of the Australian TiVo, I have been long interested in a purchase of a unit. It was going to be purchased to replace the Topfield 5000 my wife has used for a number of years. We had a Beyonwiz DP-S1 in the past too, but sold it as I hated it, and my wife wasn’t overly keen either.
I’ve had the TiVo hooked up now for a number of days, and it’s been going about it’s business. I setup a few season passes and from this it has recorded a vast number of suggestions. I’ve then set about rating them so that it does more of the stuff we like vs the stuff we don’t. My wife is yet to use the unit and should do so from tonight onwards, I am interested to see her feelings on the unit. I certainly like it, so much so I want to purchase the Home Networking thing before the promo ends this month, or look to buying a 2nd unit instead, then adding it to our existing account, then we will get the Home Networking option for free if we have 2 units before the promo ends. I see a huge value in having the ability for a 2 unit setup in seperate rooms being able to playback recorded content from either unit. Especially handy since our house has ethernet ports in those rooms.
Guess I will need to make some decisions after my Wife has manged to use the first unit we purchased, however I must say I am impressed. It works rather well, even with some limitations imposed on the Australian models vs those sold in the US.
This news is a little late, but I’ve been a bit busy with a number of things happening. Below is a picture of our first son who was born 3 weeks early on 14th Apr 2009 at 2:40am.
My wife and I had decided on names sometime ago and thus he was named “Darwyn” and his middle name is “David”.
He is 51cm long and 3.2Kg.
Finally took the plunge. Upgraded out linode VPS from debian 4.0 to 5.0
Apart from an inital hiccup, it seems fine. Upgrade complete. Unfortunately I had to shutdown the VPS instance to increase a big of diskspace onto the root, so that the dist-upgrade had enough disk space.
In other news, had a bit of a funny issue today at work. It was related to domain name resolution, and oddly enough another solution to the issue popped into my head just a while ago. It’s funny how this happens to us IT folk.
Basically it looked like a host lookup was failing and we thought maybe the host record is missing from the internal dcs, while it exists in the management host we have. As everything works for the customer when the host is using dns from our management servers, but soon as we use the customer primary dns it seems to fail. First thought posible record missing, however then it dawned on me that it could be related to the resolv.conf on the host.
Going from memory I think the resolv.conf is the issue. I remember it containing the following options;
And if the above holds true, I think I know why. The host record exists both in blah.blah.com and in blah2.blah.com. However, nameserver w.x.y.z only serves blah.blah.com, and nameserver a.b.c.d only serves blah2.blah.com. From my understanding of the man pages for resolv.conf, it looks like you shouldn’t use search/domain together, and if you do then only the last instance of search is ever used, which in this case means everytime we try to lookup host.blah2.blah.com with the primary nameserver set as w.x.y.z it will always fail. If we hashed out the domain line, it would work, as now resolver would search for both domain suffix strings against the host being used in the lookup.
I’ll check the resolv.conf tomorrow when I am back in the office, but I am pretty certain this is how it was, however if its not then back to the drawing board (as it might then end up being a missing host record between the two domains/nameservers).
Just so we are clear, technically the host shouldn’t be using the nameserver a.b.c.d, nor domain suffix blah2.blah.com (as this is ONLY to be used from the management node) and not for the entire environment, will soon be making sure no one else depends on it and stopping it from answering requests in the future.